22.12.11

1 Dress, 3 ways

"Basics are the foundation of your closet, because they can practically be worn with anything. Look at basics as a blank canvas that we can create our masterpiece from."

- Chriselle Lim, Fashion Stylist

I cannot agree enough with this statement. I spend hours shopping for all the trendiest outfits but why do I end up with almost nothing to wear for school?

Because I have not stocked up enough on basics. 

As strange as it may sound, my favourite pieces from my wardrobe are my old blue jeans, my Vans sneakers and that black cotton tee. They are my go-tos when I'm running late, they are the ones that match anything and everything and leaves me comfortable at the end of the day. They aren't attractive nor fancy, but there's something about basics that I never ever get bored of.


Bias-cut Tux dress by Dressabelle
Dressabelle's asymmetrical dress was the perfect choice for me. It features a button down collar that is flattering for all but what makes it not-so-basic is that slanted hem. It's flowy without being overly drapey. And don't worry ladies, it comes with a inner slip! (Dressabelle is really considerate when it comes to dressing modestly I promise.)

The Bias-cut Tux dress looks stunning on its own. But I'm going to show you 3 looks that I dressed myself up with using other basic pieces that most people already own.


Look 1: Accessorize

Hey, don't tell me you don't have accessories? Personally, I love black and silver jewelry in metallic finish. That's just my preference.

I wore my some bangles, put on a studded belt and a collar necklace for an interesting neckline. And of course, a hot pink lipstick (MAC Cremesheen lipstick in Speak Louder) really helped brighten up my dark assemble.

Thin silver bangle - FEP, $7 / Beads - Shanghai / Gem bangle - Diva, gifted

Collar necklace - City Plaza, $16



Look 2: Wear a dress as a skirt

Who says dresses are not versatile? All I did to make my dress a skirt was adding a plain sweater. Then, I accentuated my waistline with a thin belt and there you have it - an asymmetrical skirt! The white sweater made my outfit look neat and classy. Besides, it kept me warm and cozy against the cool breeze.

Knit sweater - G2000, second hand




Look 3: Feeling festive

Convert the knee-length dress to a maxi by layering another skirt beneath! The greatest thing about chiffon is its sheer texture that allows other colours/prints to show through.

I chose a pleated velvet full skirt in red that added a dash of colour to my black dress.

Pleated velvet skirt - City Plaza, $30


So which was your favourite look?

If you love the Bias-cut Tux dress, get it soon before it's sold out! Remember, make use of what you already have and with some creativity, you'll be able to recycle your outfits over and over like I do!



Great thanks to my very sweet photographer for the day, Joanne! Thank you <3