21.3.12

My Victorian Bedroom Tour

"A good home must be made, not bought."
- Joyce Maynard

Wall shelf displaying pretty things I have collected over the years - including mom's old Chanel perfume, Eiffel tower candle holder from Paris (gifted) and a framed post card.

This space is constantly changing, displaying mostly decor and sometimes my favourite shoes at the moment. It's almost like a mini museum; everything up there deserve their spotlight!

Gothic picture frame placed above my work space that brings the whole room together

Finally, this Gothic frame is up in its full glory. I purchased this picture frame from IKEA for $39. Mine is discontinued, but a similar mirror is selling for $49 instead. Why didn't IKEA sell the mirror earlier? Why?!

Besides looking charming on its own in a corner collecting dust, this frame was put to good use as prop for a photo shoot. I have not decided what its contents should be. Should I just leave it empty? Frame a painting? Or a quote that says "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."? 

Victorian lamp with a beautiful pendant portrait

My mom gave this this lamp I've always wanted as my birthday present last year. I love it to death. The lamp shade is so beautiful! It really gives my room its character and a romantic vibe.

Nude Zara pumps, DIY mirror

I purchased 2 rolls of lace from Daiso and customized the originally wooden mirror frame. You can buy the mirror for only $9.90 from IKEA.

Assorted collection of decorative (but useless) pillows, new bag from Mel

"Do you really sleep with so many pillows"?

Yes. I only sleep on the main pillow but I like to surround myself with pillows for an added sense of security.

My vanity - clear containers that are both functional and aesthetically pleasing

This is where I get ready and do my makeup every day! The square glass is meant to be a vase and the round one is actually the packaging of tuna cans. I prefer transparent/glass containers because they seem to make my room less cluttered, brighter and extra spacious!

Nail polish, most worn accessories

Tinted glass dish - $2 from Daiso.

A glimpse of my bookshelf

I display this amazing makeup book with a plate holder from Daiso, $2.

IKEA hangers - $1 for a pack of 4

Decided to change most of my existing hangers to these ultra thin ones to save space. The uniformity of hangers has made my wardrobe look chic and my clothes more luxurious. Dressing up is supposed be a happy thing!

Embracing the inner geek in me

I love playing Sims! Have always been, and always will! <3 <3 <3

(fake) Diamonds are a (budget) girl's best friend!

Revlon nail varnish in Silver Screen

The chances of me painting my nails is like spotting a rainbow. Nevertheless, I like silver nails because it matches my ring.

HERS Design With a Feminine Touch by Jacqueline deMontravel

I always keep interior design books (or IKEA catalogue) nearby to keep a constant stream of inspiration. I found this book in the library recently, I think whoever loves romantic, victorian or French interiors will love it.

-

My thoughts:

I always had a strong sense of how I wanted my room to be. I wanted a personalized space where I can rest, dream, pamper, socialize, work and be constantly inspired. I am glad to say that I am 100% happy with my room; not because it is perfect, but rather, it is how I want it to be. Obviously my room did not look like this overnight. I made tons of adjustments to the layout, furniture and even walls. I have the liberty to move everything freely because nothing was built in! With lots of love and hard work, my little space slowly evolved over the years to suit my changing lifestyle.

My greatest inspiration came from the Victorian/ Georgian era (think: The Duchess). I'm definitely not a minimalist. In fact, I hate plain and simple; I love personalizing every corner of my space. I try to stick to a colour palette of purple, white and black. I inject lots of floral patterns because flowers make me feel homely and cozy. Gradually, metallic elements and glass were also added. Although I felt they were mismatched at first, metal and glass actually make my room appear more spacious and modern.

Also, not forgetting that music and scent fills the space that you cannot see!
Recommended music(current favourites): Lana Del Rey and Karen Elson

Please don't take this entry as me boasting. I browse tons of interior design websites, magazines and blog during my free time. I even took up interior design as an elective module in school. Today, I just feel like sharing my room with everyone else who are interested.

I hope you enjoyed my room as much as I do! Feel free to leave a comment if you have questions or you just want to share the passion of interior design! <3