24.6.14

月里嫦娥 + Outtakes













Anka crop top - Feist Heist
Satin tail skirt - thrifted from The Salvation Army
Paper Chinese fan - uncle
Jade bangles - hand me downs
Lipstick - Rimmel Kate Matte in .111

I present to you a continuation of the previous Chinese mythology inspired photo shoot '哪吒闹海'. This one is about a 嫦娥, lady who is immortal and lives a lonely life on the moon upon as the consequence of drugs overdose. We have not reached the period of moon cake festival but whatever, I simply felt very inspired to do something outrageous before I lose the drive to do so. 

This outfit is very interesting. One day, I was on a thrifting trip with my friends at Salvation Army when I discovered the most epic skirt ever. It was priced $30 but I managed to bargain down to $15 after the sales lady saw that I really loved the skirt. At that point of time I had no idea how I'd ever have the chance to wear it, unless it's for some red carpet event or something. It wasn't tagged with size but it fits me perfectly. The luxurious and heavy satin material glides elegantly against the floor as I move, at the same time I felt really guilty for literally sandpaper-ing it against the ground. It must have been tailored to the point! Now that I think about it, it really resembles Chang Er right? Close enough:


Moving on... So what's with the Chinese fan you might ask? Well, it's another one of those things that are so beautiful yet are impractical as hell. It's a paper fan that was meticulously hand painted by my relative. On one side it's a landscape and on the other there are a bunch of Chinese characters that I vaguely understand as something about education or character building. I'm such a sucker for Feist Heist tops that I couldn't resist bringing it into this look. Upon second thought it actually looked like some Japanese Samurai gear, not sure if Chang Er would wear such thing so I shall put my disclaimer right here that my outfit was not planned for historical accuracy.

Some outtakes/ behind the scenes photos stolen from Yun Jing's blog:




A note to my foreign friends who might be travelling to Singapore: shooting outdoors in Singapore is NOT fun. It's hot as hell and don't expect your hair to ever behave. Don't even think about volume cause all you'll ever get will probably be frizz and oily streaks.


It may sound unlikely but we weren't the only people in this place. Haha people were staring as we roam around with ridiculous poses and clothes (just me).


Wearing pants underneath my skirt didn't help with the heat. But, allow me to emphasise that there were nowhere to change from my previous outfit! Not even a toilet!!


We may not have the best equipments, lighting or cameras. We dragged our bags ourselves and made do with whatever we could use but I love these pictures so much! It must be exciting to look back in a few years time and laugh at these 'amateur' shots. Jing makes the best photo companion ever, which makes me utterly depressed that she's leaving for NZ. :( :(

Photos by Yun Jing.