19.6.14

Royals




Tuxedo double-breasted vest - c/o Dressabelle




Tassel gemstones necklace - c/o O'ORO

Lilac blouse - upcoming at (c/o) Dressabelle





Pencil skirt - ASOS



Photos by Yun Jing

 Pantone claimed Orchid as the colour of the year 2014.

"Radiant Orchid blooms with confidence and magical warmth that intrigues the eye and sparks the imagination. It is an expressive, creative and embracing purple—one that draws you in with its beguiling charm. A captivating harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid emanates great joy, love and health."

One of the noteworthy trends is the rising popularity of purple/ violet lips, something most cosmetic brands (drugstores included) have adopted for its counters. Used to be a shade used in editorials, it had since become a wearable staple for every girl. It's definitely a bold move, something not every girl or guy might appreciate. But purple happens to be my favourite colour! To me, purple is a colour sandwiched between femininity and masculinity, an understated colour which attracts yet does not provoke.

I went for a semi 1940s look with a twist; switching the full volumous midi for a modern pencil skirt and ditched the long sleeves for a vest that's tolerable in Singapore's warm weather. As you can see, I built my outfit around royal berry tones. I usually like paring purple with earthy tones and forest greens, but the royal blue is a refreshing alternative that looks extremely luxurious and flattering. The double-breasted style of the vest  is very masculine but it accentuates a woman's body in its unique way. It invites the eye to see a woman under a different light, something I am always intrigued by what androgynous/ menswear inspired fashion can do. Hints of satin lapel makes it night appropriate and the gold buttons are a fun touch.

Since my outfit is so formal and luxurious, I thought I'd play up my hair and accessories to match it up. The gemstones tassel necklace is probably the most elaborate jewellery piece I own in my wardrobe, an ultimate statement piece that screams "expensive". Well, except that you'll probably be pleasantly surprised by its retail price. Tassels always remind me of curtain ties from the Victorian Era, and the ribbon tie closure (yep, no chains or hooks!) is such a dainty detail that many cheap jewellery forgo. You might also realise that this is probably the first in a long time I curled by hair. How do you I look?