30.9.11

Style - Kristen Stewart

Young starlet of the (in)famous Twilight Saga is known for her emotionless face, bad acting and....

Okay I'm kidding!

I used to be obsessed with Twilight and New Moon during my secondary school days! Recently, I've been looking up on her outfits for various appearances on TV and online articles. Have to admit I'm digging how she puts herself together. Her style is always simple, flawed (in a good way; e.g. tousled hair) and age appropriate. In case you didn't know, she's only 21 years old.

Kristen has dark hair, fair complexion and 1.68m tall. It's quite obvious that she wears mostly dark colours too. I feel that I have similar attributes and preferences and that makes me feel like I can relate to her. Not saying that I look like her! I feel that it's nice to find a someone whose style I can relate to as it will constantly inspire me. Also, whatever works for her would probably work for me too!

When asked what her style was like, she replied to vogue.co.uk:
I have different versions of myself and a standard uniform - I wear jeans. It's cool to have another side of things. I have phases.

Below are some outfits that I like on her:

Source: http://www.fabsugar.com/
Anyone knows the name for the kind of dress she's wearing here? I'm referring to those dresses with an intended elongated waistline. I love how it accentuates her small waist. She wore a trenchcoat to balance out the shortness of her dress. The waistline is not overly low on Kristen, unlike Sarah Jessica Parker's dress that made her look disproportionate:

Source: Rue De Chic


HERE'S ONE TO ALL THOSE WHO THINKS SNEAKERS DON'T GO WITH DRESSES.

In fact, I think she looks GREAT. She could have gone with sky-topping heels like any other celebrity on the red carpet. Those classic Converse high-cuts are unexpected and made her stand out.

More often than not, I would be criticized in school for wearing sneakers with a dress or skirt. I've been called "weird", "mismatched", and "the Uli style" by my friends for doing so. I don't understand why is there an unspoken rule stating "Dresses only go with flats, sandals or heels". Think Avril Lavigne, Pink, or Hayley Williams - don't they all wear sneakers?

I strongly support the idea of sneakers with dresses. Here is an article on how to pull off this style:

Fashion Challenge: Sneakers with a Skirt or Dress – College Fashion


Kristen's gowns:

Kristen's gowns are usually strapless and of floor-sweeping length. She is also very modest when it comes to dressing - avoiding over revealing cuts or plunging necklines.



This royal blue gown is gorgeous! Compared with the grey, blue complements her complexion so much more can't you notice?


Kristen's mini dresses:

There is no reason for Kristen to hide her legs when they go on forever. Besides jeans and long gowns, she is also commonly seen in mini dresses.

My personal favourite!
I am in love with her dress. It's a has asymmetrical sleeves, a mixture of textures and reveals just the right amount of skin.



Kristen looks sultry in lace and red lips. Reminds me a little of Scarlett Johansson.



This outfit would be my second favourite. I believe those silver details are either sequins or hardware. Her messy side-swept hair goes so well with her grungey dress. Again, the unexpected Kristen went with simple black stilettos instead of other sophisticated footwear. 



I don't really fancy this dress but the colour looks gorgeous on her. Olive green is one of my favourite colours to wear. While many blondes end up looking dull with this colour, surprisingly, olive green flatters most Asians with dark hair and warm skin. If you have never tried anything close to this, you should! 

Read full report at XinMSN.


In my opinion, Kristen's style is simple to follow and very wearable in reality. Here I shall conclude the 4 elements of her style:
  • Basic black stilettos
    If you have noticed, her footwear is very standard with all outfits - black stilettos. It's a fashion staple that goes with everything. Plus, it also elongates and draws all the attention to your legs. I'm guilty to not own one... 
  • Textures
    We've seen her in satin, lace, mesh and frills. An outfit does not need colours to stand out. I'm someone who tends to not wear a lot of colours and personally hate colour blocking. A monochromic outfit can be interesting by combining textures. For instance, chiffon + leather (Outfit inspiration).
  • Imperfections
    I love how Kristen never appears to be perfect. By that I mean her messy hair, posing without trying-too-hard etc. Gives her so much personality. Such a down to earth girl!
  • Minimum accessorizing
    From the pictures above, you can hardly spot any accessory except for a ring, watch, bracelet. The focus is solely on her alone. Even when in her gown, she kept to zero accessorizing. Sometimes, less is really more.