22.2.14

Crystal Clear

Striped crop top - Topshop

Fact: I look terrible in a Fedora hat.

Hats are such strange things. While one hat may look cool on a friend, it can go terribly unflattering on me. Some things never work out. *sigh* Having a big skull (my hat's a size L, bet you couldn't tell) becomes a challenge when I shop for hats. But one day I found the perfect cloche hat and I have held on to it dearly ever since. The cloche is a distinctive fashion item of the 1920s and it adds a lady-like quality to any outfit, but it's not something everyone can effortlessly pull off. I'd probably look like a horse rider if I had a ponytail. Lucky me finally found the one hat style that flatters my current blunt bob and awkward head. My cloche hat has inspired many of my previous looks. It's the magic weapon whenever I feel an urge to be extra girly!


Mesh midi skirt - c/o Dressabelle (Similar by ASOS: 1, 2)


MAC matte lipstick in Chili (similar: Rimmel Kate Matte in shade 111)



I enjoy giving my outfits an ethereal feel even with very dark colour palettes. The airy quality of this mesh skirt is so charming, its mesh overlay so light it looks like an accompanying shadow of its main silhouette. Its slight sheen reflects sunlight beautifully like ocean waves. Midi skirts never fail to make me act like real lady! Just as costumes in theatre plays tell stories, my clothes can too dramatically change the way I carry myself. 




Lucite necklace - c/o Dressabelle | Wool cloche hat - H&M (similar here)



Metallic grey loafers - c/o Charles & Keith


Vintage Cadali Taylor watch - c/o Late Rabbit | Card holder - Kate Spade


Lucite box clutch - ZARA (similar by ASOS)

Add motion and dimensions to dense/ heavy pieces with ultralight materials. Contrast darkness with reflective textures and transparency. Lucite accessories inject a surreal quality and make classic styles look contemporary. Being dreamy doesn't always have to be like Swan Lake, sometimes my favourite ensembles are also the most unlikely combinations. Being able to translate things that inspire you to wearable form; that's the joy of being your own stylist!

Photos by Corrine